Sunday, September 19, 2010

Introduction to Web2pt0Me


"Keep in mind Johnson's Rule of Technology Neutrality: Technology is neither good nor bad. The same hammer can both break windows and build cathedrals." (Johnson, 2010, Sept. 18)

 Doug Johnson, author of Blue Skunk Blog, has never seen me build. However, one thing is true; it isn't the technology that is good or bad, it is the competencies of the individual using the technology. Time will only determine whether I am breaking windows or building cathedrals.

As an educator, I began with the vision of the cathedrals in my classroom. But I thank Will Richardson for liberating me and allowing me to put myself first, guilt-free I may add. In Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms (2010) Richardson writes,

"As you read this book, I have one request: Before you attempt to bring these technologies to your students, first be selfish about their use in your own learning practice."

And so I have, Will! I am RSS feeding with Google Reader, tweeting with Twitter, and blogging with Blogger. However, this was all business. And then I found pleasure.

Well, I already had Facebook and knew some of the pleasures that brought; reconnecting with friends from years ago, keeping in touch with family, communicating with teammates, playing mindless but relaxing games, the connection to Facebook with my cell phone so I could upload pictures I wanted to share, on the go...and so many other uses. 
 
 
 And then I was introduced to some newbies. Hello Flickr...the new solution to my photo crisis. Hello Shelfari...my new solution to finding good reads and somewhere to discuss them (since, in my busy life, I can never find the time to join the book clubs at work). Hello Google Reader for personal interests...the news now comes to me, and I have selected what I want to receive so it is so much more appealing than the newspaper we receive daily. These are the tools I am now using to build the cathedrals in my personal life. They are beautiful!

Of course, all these pleasures can also be the tools to build the cathedrals in my classroom. But I am taking Will's advice and I'm going to be selfish for a while.

So it begins - What shall I build? What other tools will I add to my toolbox? Will I break many windows or will I build beautiful cathedrals?



References
Johnson, D. (2010, September 18). BFTP: Is PowerPoint evil? Retrieved from http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2010/9/18/bftp-is-powerpoint-evil.html


Ricardson, W. (2010). Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.





 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,

    Thanks for the great post - and for demonstrating how to use an idea to hook the reader and pull the reader through the blog post.

    ReplyDelete